One of the largest cell phone service carriers, Verizon is known for offering prepaid and postpaid services across the United States. The company also offers television and Internet services along with its phone service combined in its brand, known as FiOS.
According to the 2013 Annual Consumer survey, which was held by MyWireless.org, it is estimated that almost a quarter of cell phone customers consider improving coverage and quality of their cell phones to be the most important problem with mobile use. Not only does poor signal strength interrupt call making or using mobile data, but it also drains your phone battery because the phone has to struggle continually for a better signal, and as a result, excess power is consumed.
There are some hardware and software solutions that you can utilize to enhance your Verizon cell phone reception. You can try some tricks and fixes to improve your cell phone reception before using such tools. With these tricks and fixes, you may enhance your phone reception. Follow the below-given methods to improve the cell phone reception.
Read More: How to Troubleshoot Verizon Can’t Connect to the Internet Problem on Mac OS?
Methods to Enhance Verizon Cell Phone Signal Strength
The poor signal strength is caused by physical obstacles, including the walls in your building or home, other close-by buildings, mountains and hills. One simple way to enhance cell phone reception is by moving somewhere with lesser obstacles between you and the cell phone tower. Even if you are not sure about the direction to the nearest Verizon phone tower, the following three simple actions could help you improve phone signals while on a phone call.
- The more you walk around when talking on phone, the harder it becomes for the phone to work and the poorer would be the signal strength. So, just stop walking around. In case stopping doesn’t improve the signal, take the next step.
- Go to a higher floor in your building or house if there is one. If you are sitting, standing up can also help improve the reception. The higher you move in your house or building, lesser would be the possibly of any obstacle between the cell tower and your phone.
- In comparison to the walls, glass windows allow better signal strength and not even interfere with the signal when you move outside. Try moving next to a window when talking on the phone, or find and move to an open space outside the building or home.
Solutions Related to Software
In case you often experience poor signal in a location that you visit every now and then, find out an area, where the reception is better before you receive a phone call. This can be easily done by an echo test, which can be performed by following the below-mentioned instructions.
First of all, you need to dial (909) 390-0003 on your phone to perform a test. This is the number to test phone call quality, which is a publicly available PSTN test number. Once you call on this number, no sound or ring will be heard; wait a few seconds and then, speak and you’ll hear your voice echoed back to you. After this, move to different locations in your building or home and speak at each location wherever you move. Since your voice is sent to both the locations, you can check the network quality just by listening to your voice or speaking.
Locate the Cell Tower
You can locate a nearest cell tower, where network strength is strong for which, you can utilize network locating apps like Open Signal. Open Signal is a helpful app, which offers you to the option to find the location of the strongest Verizon cell phone tower signal as well as offers a map of cell towers nearby. The app can be easily downloaded from the Apple App Store or Google Play stores.
Update the Capability of Your Verizon Roaming
On a regular basis, Verizon adds and modifies cell towers specifically in large urban areas. And, your phone cannot know whether the existing towers has been modified or new towers has been erected. So, your phone may keep on connecting to the old towers or the ones that are far away. However, to improve the network you can manually update the cell towers. Follow the below given steps for this:
- For Android Users
- First of all, you need to dial 228 on your Verizon mobile phone. You will find a banner at the top, which says, “Activate your phone.” Then, a voice prompt will say “Welcome to Verizon Wireless programming” and ask you to press 1 to activate or program your phone or enter *2 to update the roaming capabilities.
- Now, you have to press 2. A voice prompt will say, “Wait while your phone is being programmed.” After almost a minute, you’ll find “Your roaming capabilities have been updated successfully.” Thereafter, you’ll get a message showing your phone has been activated.
- For iPhone Users
- First of all, you need to go to the Settings and then, choose General
- Now, scroll down to reach the bottom and then, choose Reset.
- Select the Reset Network Settings option. In case you have a security code, you’ll be asked to enter the same, and then asked to confirm it.
Read More: How to Block Caller ID on Verizon?
Force the Cell Phone to Connect to the Network
At times, your phone may connect to a cell tower with poor signal strength and doesn’t search for a tower with better signal even if one available. This could occur, if the signal strength is good in one room and when you are moving to some other room, where signal strength is weak. Although avoiding changing cell towers frequently is good for your as it drains battery life, you can also force your phone to disconnect with a network and search for a network with better reception.
Also read: How To Boost Your AT&T Network
Rebooting your phone is the simplest way to connect to a better network. But, you can also turn on Airplane Mode and after waiting for a few moments, turn the Airplane Mode off. You can go for any of these methods as with both of them, your phone will automatically look for a stronger network and connect with the same.
Hardware Related Solutions
Verizon provides various signal boosters that help amplify the signals of the network in your building or home. To work properly, the booster needs wired high-speed Internet connectivity. Although a signal booster helps improve your reception, it doesn’t guarantee strong signal all along. Moreover, a signal booster may not help if the reception is very poor due to heavily insulated or thick walls or floors; common in industrial premises.
If you encounter any trouble with your Verizon wireless service or have any other issues, you can contact Verizon technical support service for assistance. With the help of our skilled professionals, you can easily resolve your issues.
Read more: How do I set up Wifi calling on AT&T network