The majority of businesses have decided to operate remotely, whenever possible, thus, the need for cloud technologies has increased dramatically. You as a business owner might be curious to learn about how to successfully manage the cloud migration procedure, so let’s determine the best strategy to carry out those transformations.
- Maintain persistence. To avoid any downtime, or at least, minimize it, smooth data migration has to be optimized as much as possible.
- Respond to the expectations. You can’t wake up one day and decide to migrate to the cloud apropos of nothing. To successfully use this kind of software you shall assess current conditions to figure out what your business actually needs, so you can act accordingly.
- Start small. A wise and far-sighted approach is to move gradually, especially, when you have certain doubts about how appropriate your decisions are.
- Remember about licensing. It makes sense to properly examine the conditions of cooperation you’re offered for you to understand, whether they can meet your objectives. It’s better to think of it before you actually start the migration.
- Think about automation. It’s important to automate the process as much as you can. This is how you achieve your goals on business simplification and optimization. Automation is for you to easily manage your firm.
- Supervise and analyze. Ongoing monitoring is a must to evaluate the application of cloud migration software. Particular services, say, Azure Monitor and Google Cloud Monitoring, could come in handy.
To make sure you smoothly apply for a cloud migration platform, try to avoid the following most widespread pitfalls:
- Not monitoring the dependency between different services. A dependency diagram is critical. You have to be careful with individually moving one of the services that uses the same database.
- Not having the roadmap. The migration plan is your action plan to follow. You need to have a clear understanding of what, why, and when to execute to finally come up with cloud-based infrastructure.
- Not carrying out preliminary tests. Even when choosing the most reliable and credible software, testing will not hurt.
- Complete binding your services to one provider. At some point, you might decide to change your provider, so there shall be no issues to exercise such an operation.
- Not planning downtimes. In the best-case scenario, migration shall be carried out seamlessly not interfering with any business activities. However, it’s better to get prepared for possible troubles, so it’s wiser to plan downtimes.
Many entrepreneurs are worried about possible security risks that may occur in the process of cloud migration. There exist 3 key points to bear in mind to minimize the issues:
- Make the right choice on your provider. It’s better to go for well-known providers who do their best to secure the data of their clients. Moreover, those organizations never stop improving their technologies. Choosing cheaper providers can eventually cost you a lot.
- Think of private clouds. In case users’ data safety still bothers you, you can consider private clouds. Clearly, they’re more expensive, but under certain circumstances, it might be worth it.
- Train your staff accordingly. When the team is unprepared for those changes, some security issues may arise, so it’s essential to duly instruct your employees on time.
- Preliminary inventory and auditing. First, the task is to analyze the initial infrastructure and figure out the key element dependencies. You’ll be able to determine certain weak points (if any) to pay closer attention to during the migration.
- Setting up your strategy. The results of your research shall be transformed into a working plan. There exist a few migration strategies, so you can go for the one that better fits your business needs.
- Selecting KPIs. You’ll need those indicators to assess the effectuality and success of the service you chose.
- Choosing the model. With regards to your budget, level of data confidentiality needed, and business size, you can choose between private, public, and hybrid solutions.
- Selecting your provider. The choice must be considered responsively. The company you pick out shall have the powerful infrastructure, deliver the services you’re looking for, and invest in the development of cloud solutions.
- Making a roadmap. The plan shall detail the sequence of all operations, and each activity has to have its deadline. Remember that the most optimal time to transfer your most essential services is in the middle of the night.
- Choosing migration instruments. Ideally, your IT infrastructure shall be thoroughly analyzed by specialists to help you opt for the most suitable tools. However, AWS Server Migration Service and Google Migrate are pretty decent and universal solutions.
- Testing. Businesses that choose to ignore this phase, will most likely face multiple difficulties.
- Transferring to the cloud. After having implemented all the above stages, the cloud migration process shall get started. Remember to pursue your strategy.
- Verifying the system. You shall monitor how your system is doing in the new environment. When all the nuances have been taken into account and when all steps have been executed properly, there won’t be any undesired surprises.
You’re lucky, if you can carry out all the stages of the cloud migration procedure by yourself. Otherwise, you shall resort to the assistance of specialists having the right expertise. When hiring an outsourcing team you shall make sure those people can professionally handle the following activities:
- auditing the business IT infrastructure extensively;
- coming up with a working plan to carry out the required transformations considering current conditions and business needs;
- undertaking cloud migration itself;
- checking the results of shifting;
- optimizing IT infrastructure, in case such a need has been proven while testing;
- insuring proper further technical support.